Is your dog chewing things they shouldn’t? Chewing is a normal dog behavior but if they’re chewing on the wrong things – this is destructive chewing.
Chewing is an important behavior, especially for puppies, because it’s part of their teething process. For adult dogs, they often will chew for fun or even to relieve boredom. They will also chew to release pent up energy. So – how do you fix destructive chewing?
Stop Destructive Chewing With Redirection
- Give Your Dog Plenty Of Exercise. Exercise is a great deterrent for bad dog or puppy behavior. Tired dogs are less likely to find ways to cure their boredom. Exercise also releases endorphins which has a calming effect on dogs (and humans too!) Chewing is known to also release endorphins – so when your dog is chewing, they might be trying to release that pent up energy mentioned earlier.
- Give Them A Chew Toy. A great training technique is to stop your dog mid-chew of a “no no” object and replace it with an appropriate chew toy. Having proper chew toys around the home will help deter your dog from chewing on items that should not be in their mouths.
- Dog-Proof Your House. People may have heard of “puppy-proofing” their house with a new pup around but the same should be done for grown dogs. Make sure you put your shoes away and the dog in their designated spot when you’re not home. Take charge and manage their environment.
- Make Sure It’s Not Separation Anxiety. If your dog’s chewing is persistent, make sure it’s not a symptom of an even bigger problem like separation anxiety. Read more on separation anxiety here.
- Use Foul-Tasting Repellent. There are items out on the market now such as “Bitter Apple Spray” or other dog repellents that tastes particularly awful to dogs. You just spray the repellent on whichever item they’re prone to chewing – and just like a child touching a hot stove – they learn that they’re not interested in doing that again.
- Be Nice. Your dog is just that…a dog. It takes time to train them and have them display well-mannered behavior. If you catch your dog chewing – don’t hit them or treat them badly, this will only make them fear you.
Use the above techniques and their bad behavior will be fixed in time.
JYHY Bulldog Bowl Ceramic Dog Food Bowl – Dog Cat Dish Wide Mouth Dog Bowl Pet Sterile Tilted Pet Feeder with Anti-Skid…
Miracle Vet 8-in-1 High Calorie Weight Gain Dog Food – 600 kcal Per Cup – 31% Protein – Vet Approved Adult and Puppy…
PETMAKER Elevated Pet Feeding Tray with Splash Guard and Non-Skid feet 21in x 11in x 8.5in, Gray (297779UKA)
The Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters Grain Free Chicken Dry Dog Food, 20 lb Bag
IRIS USA Airtight Pet Food Storage Container
Nature’s Recipe Prime Blends Dry Dog Food, Chicken, Turkey & Butternut Squash Recipe, 12 Pounds, Grain Free